STUDENTS ACCOMMODATION IN NEW ZEALAND
There are several options for student accommodation in New Zealand. Your place of study may be able to assist you in finding accommodation when you apply to study.
Halls of Residence
Most tertiary institutions, and some private secondary schools, in New Zealand have Halls of Residence. Halls of Residence are generally located a short walk from campus. Rooms are single or twin-share, with communal laundry, lounge room and dining hall. Meals are usually provided, and all dietary needs can be catered for.
A warden lives on site, and organized sporting and recreational activities are common. Halls of Residence are great for students who wish to meet new people and live in a secure, safe environment.
Average cost: Around NZ$200 per week.
Homestay means you live with a New Zealand family in their home – usually with a room of your own. Your Homestay family provides your meals and helps you with day-to-day life in New Zealand.
Homestay accommodation is an excellent way to meet New Zealanders, and interact with people in English. As a guest in your host family’s home you are expected to contribute to normal family life, a great way to experience Kiwi culture.
Average cost: Around NZ$180 per week.
"Going Flatting" is the New Zealand term for renting an apartment or house (flat). Flatting gives you the flexibility to live with as many people as you like – males or females. Flats range from one bedroom apartments to 4 or 5 bedroom homes. Rental accommodation is generally clustered around colleges or universities, but flats can be found in most city suburbs.
- Many rental properties in New Zealand come with a garden, and have car-parking.
- An oven is provided and sometimes other larger appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers. Most New Zealand houses are stand-alone, and do not have central heating. Your landlord does not have to supply heat, so you pay for gas/electricity between you and your flatmates.
- Usually a "bond" (2 – 4 weeks rent) is paid to your landlord. This is returned to you when you move out – providing the house has not been damaged in any way.
- For advice on rental properties in New Zealand contact Tenancy Services.
- Average Cost: $70 - $150 rent per week, plus expenses (food, electricity, phone, water etc)